It's time for This Week in OpenNMS! In the last week we worked on various internals and web code.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Jesse fixed maskelement matches for events
- Jesse worked on a project to provide alarm correlation
- Seth worked on upgrading Karaf to 4.1
- Ronny worked on AsciiBinder documentation infrastructure
- Alejandro fixed varbind matching of events
Web and UI
- Seth did more work on alarm endpoints in the ReSTv2 API
- Alejandro made it possible to associate foreign sources and IDs with events sent through ReST
- Markus worked on a bunch of BSM and topology issues
- Dustin worked on GraphML topology status propagation
- Markus worked on OSGi ReST support
- Markus made an outage-based node status calculator
- I added support for ack/unack/escalate/clear of alarms in OpenNMS.js
- Jesse added support for handling alarm sticky and journal memos to OpenNMS.js, and added support for displaying them in Grafana
OpenNMS Horizon 20.0.1 (Korben Dallas) Released
OpenNMS Horizon 20.0.1 was released last Monday. It contains fixes for number of bugs introduced in 20 including a deadlock in polling.
For a complete list of what was changed, see the release notes.
While I am writing this TWiO, Tarus and Jesse are introducing Dev-Jam 2017 at Concordia University in Montréal, Canada. Dev-Jam is our yearly OpenNMS un-conference where everyone gets a chance to socialize and to work on their own personal OpenNMS projects.
This morning everyone introduced themselves and talked about what they planned on doing:
- updating packaging (yum/Debian) infrastructure including better support of upstream PostgreSQL packages
- improved wifi link support in Enlinkd and topology
- improving the opennms.com and opennms.org web sites
- simplifying collection of OCAs
- integrating DigitalOcean and Xen requisition tools
- Spark chat integration
- ReST infrastructure improvements
- discussing how to improve Docker image generation
- grafana dashboard for UPS data
- northbound interfaces for Drools (scriptd-like interface for alarms)
- structured data monitor (using the XML collector infrastructure)
- Cisco ACI integration
- OSGi deployment of ReST services
- donut charts on the front page
- rewrite the node list page
- migrate documentation to AsciiBinder
- trigger IFTTT events when alarms change
- porting the Go version of the minion to a new platform
Obviously not all of this will get done in a week, but there are lots of neat things going on. Stay tuned for cool new features in OpenNMS Horizon 21.0.0!
Also, Jessica handed out this year's t-shirt, with an awesome design:
Upcoming Events and Appearances
Tarus Balog will be speaking at this year's AusNOG conference being held in Melbourne, Australia in September. AusNOG is the premier technical and professional networking event for Internet Service Providers, Telcos, Hosting Providers, and Content Providers in Australia. Tarus will be presenting a talk entitled "Monitoring at Scale with OpenNMS".
The OpenNMS Group's next training session in Apex, NC will be September 11th through 15th. For more details on OpenNMS training and to sign up, see The OpenNMS.com training page.
Tarus Balog will be the keynote speaker at Ohio Linux Fest in Columbus. His talk is titled "A Short History of an Open Source Business" and will be about the history of OpenNMS, decisions that were made, problems that were faced, and things we'd do different.
For details, see the Ohio Linux Fest announcement.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future TWiO, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last TWiO
- HZN-1061: Add an alarms endpoint to the v2 REST API
- HZN-1062: Add support for perform ticket related actions on alarm
- HZN-1099: View the all of the alarm properties for any alarm displayed in the alarm table panel
- NMS-7309: OpenNMS ignores signals
- NMS-8305: Intermittent test failures in *FeatureKarafIT tests
- NMS-8857: Make an automation to clear pathOutage alarms
- NMS-9133: Fix CORS section to include /api/* besides /rest
- NMS-9365: Give a user the ability to visualise path outages and the status in the topology framework
- NMS-9449: Add support for retrieving the SNMPv2 agent address from a specific varbind
- NMS-9484: KSC reports broken on upgrade to 20.0
- NMS-9491: openNMS ignores some traps
- NMS-9496: Using maskelements based on nodeID (and maybe other fields) to match event definition doesn't work