It's time for This Week in OpenNMS!
Last week we made improvements to Sentinel, CDP support, correlation feedback, and more.
Github Project Updates
Internals, APIs, and Documentation
- Markus worked on some improvements to the Sentinel container code.
- David worked on adding additional filtering support to Sextant.
- Patrick did some performance improvements to CDP topology calculation.
- Jesse fixed JSON collection on the minion.
- Dustin continued his work to support multiple flow protocols on a single UDP port.
- Matthew worked on high availability and leader election for Sentinel containers.
- Matthew added support for skipping publishing alarm updates to Kafka if the change only affects event count or last time.
- Chandra worked on queueing sink messages to disk until communication comes back online.
Web & UI
- Antonio worked on a ReST service to expose CDP topology.
- Christian added a button to delete a minion in the minion status UI.
- I fixed an old regression in the web UI to make "1 day" the default graph period again (and made it configurable).
- David worked on improving alarm and summary data in OpenNMS.js and Helm.
- David also worked on cleaning up and finalizing the alarm correlation feedback UI in Helm.
Upcoming Events and Appearances
Tarus will be speaking at the UK Network Operators Forum on September 11th, 2018. He'll be giving a talk called "What's Happening with OpenNMS" going over some of the recent enhancements to OpenNMS to extend scalability.
Tarus will be speaking on Tuesday, November 6th about the latest features in OpenNMS including Minions, Telemetryd (flow support), Sextant (alarm correlation), and more.
Until Next Week…
If there’s anything you’d like me to talk about in a future TWiO, or you just have a comment or criticism you’d like to share, don’t hesitate to say hi.
Resolved Issues Since Last TWiO
- HZN-1373: Revisit the sentinel branch and remove all introduced TODOs
- HZN-1381: Situation severity should be set to max related alarm severity
- NMS-7555: UI stack trace is truncated
- NMS-10286: NoClassDefFoundError for net/sf/json/JSONSerialize with the JSON collector on Minion
- NMS-10306: Create karaf shell commands for reload daemon
- NMS-10317: Improve CDP topology calculation performance
- NMS-10321: Minions can't be deleted from minion menu
- NMS-10324: Set the default resource graph time range to "Last Day"
- NMS-10329: Flow: Classification should not depend on direction